- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into chunks.
- 4 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a pot over medium high heat, add oil and butter. Wait for the butter to melt then add onion chunks. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add carrots and keep stirring for 5 minutes to get the carrots tender and partially caramelize.
- Add garlic slices and continue to stir for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and bring the pot to a boil. Partially cover and let it simmer on medium low until carrots are fully cooked and fork tender.
- When the soup is done, take it off heat and let it cool down a bit before blending until smooth.
- Pour the blender content into a pot and return to stove top. Add spices and cream.
- Mix everything well and let it simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes then serve.
To Make Vegan: use vegetable broth and soy milk or coconut cream instead of chicken broth and heavy cream. You can also use vegan butter or double the olive oil.