6 egg; separate into whites and yolks
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean
3 cups cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
- Separate eggs; let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds into creamed mixture. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared baking pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup salted butter, softened
3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Using a paddle beater, beat softened butter on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add Sifted confectioner’s sugar and stir on low until incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat on medium-high for 3 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides once or twice.
- If a thinner frosting is desired, add additional heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
If you are new to baking cakes, here is a set of piping tips I recommend and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!